MAGNET trainees will benefit from:
- Research projects that are highly innovative and likely to have significant scientific and/or societal impact
- Mentorship from some of Canada’s leading scientists who are internationally recognized for their geochemistry expertise
- Hands-on training in the latest techniques using state-of-the-art equipment and instrumentation
- Internships with some of the top analytical, environmental, mining and mineral exploration companies in the world
Additional training is provided by seminars, professional development workshops and summer schools. MAGNET trainees will also have many opportunities for travel through fieldwork, university/laboratory exchanges, conferences and annual networking events.
MAGNET graduates will have a significant competitive advantage, being equipped with technical and professional skills that will improve job readiness, facilitate transition to the workforce and expand their possible career trajectories (e.g., within academia, government, analytical laboratories, environmental consulting firms, water resources development firms, mining and mineral exploration companies).
The field of geochemistry has taken a major leap forward in recent years due to innovative analytical developments, such as multi-collector inductively-coupled plasma mass spectrometry (MC-ICP-MS) and in-situ laser ablation. Geochemical techniques, data analysis principles and analytical tools are evolving rapidly and increasingly used in a wide range of applications in resource exploration, mineral extraction, environmental monitoring, mitigation and remediation. As a result, demand in industry, government and academic settings for highly qualified personnel with strong backgrounds in geochemistry is at an all-time high. The comprehensive and integrated nature of this training program represents a novel and much needed approach to geochemistry education in Canada.
The main objectives of MAGNET are to:
- Provide an integrated and cohesive research and training environment, applied specifically to addressing global challenges in analytical, environmental and exploration geochemistry
- Generate and distribute leading-edge geochemical research of scientific and societal importance that will benefit the scientific community, industry, policy-makers and the general public (locally and internationally)
- Promote techniques and developments that meet or exceed the highest standards of quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) protocols and industry best practices
- Produce graduates who are highly trained and prepared for careers in geochemistry, helping fill an immediate need for HQP in the analytical, environmental and exploration industries, as well as sustaining an important HQP resource for industry, government and academia into the future